HTML Header

The Hotel Fred
Muppet Show
Mugwhump the Great
Fred the Clown
More Comics
Doctor Who
Buy Artwork
About Me
E-Mail Me

Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Whatever Happened To...

So by now I expect everyone who's got a horse in this race knows that Marvel will be publishing the Pixar books that Boom used to do from now on. So far, so groovy - they have the technology, the expertise and the resources to do a great job... if they want to.

So where does that leave the Muppet comics?

To be honest, I have no idea. As far as I understand it, the unpublished work I've done for Boom isn't technically Disney's until it's published, and obviously Boom can't publish it without a license. So it's in a kind of limbo right now. In the best of all possible worlds, I'd like to think that Boom and Marvel can come to some kind of arrangement whereby Marvel can eventually release the work. I'm only a cartoonist, real business stuff makes my brain hurt, so I'm not sure how that would work - I guess Disney/Marvel buys the rights from Boom or something. Or maybe they have to go out into the woods at midnight and bury Kermit in effigy with some chives in order to break the curse. Something like that. However it happens, I would very much like for it to see the light of day eventually.

Until that happy day, which I look forward to with a smile on my face and a song in my heart, I guess it can't hurt to share some of the pages here. This arc would have been called The Four Seasons, hence the seasonal theme - these few pages would have been from the Winter/Christmas issue. (Appropriate for pages that are in cold storage for now.)

Roll on Spring...



4 comments:

  1. Well darn. I had assumed that they were waiting to publish the last of the Muppet issues once you had them all done. I knew Pixar moved but I had expected them to let you finish your run. I hope these pages get published, even as an OGN. I loved this series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the Muppet comics just don't sell enough anymore to deserve a renewal?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I thought that my contributions alone had determined that decision, I'd probably agree with you - fortunately I'm not quite that egotistical. But I came to realise a long time ago that I have almost no commercial sensibilities whatsoever. Anything I work on that I'm actually proud of tends not to sell well; conversely, the one job I did for Marvel that I belted out in a weekend is the one thing I consistently receive royalty cheques from. If there's a lesson there, I refuse to learn it.

    By the way, if you wouldn't mind signing your name next time you comment here, I'd appreciate it, Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to see a Marvel Omnibus is in the works. I really love your work, and proudly own a few original pages and sketches!

    ReplyDelete

The spam filter is back on because it just goes berserk if I switch it off. Sorry - I'll get to your comments ASAP!

About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom
Eisner and Harvey Award-winning cartoonist responsible for The Muppet Show Comic Book, Thor the Mighty Avenger, Snarked! and Fred the Clown. Would like to save the world through comics.