HTML Header

The Hotel Fred
Muppet Show
Mugwhump the Great
Fred the Clown
More Comics
Doctor Who
Buy Artwork
About Me
E-Mail Me

Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Neslo Ymmij

The first issue of Jimmy Olsen I ever read was this one - my brother found it in a second-hand bookshop in New Zealand, a real rarity at the time because the American editions usually never got down to that part of the world (we had to be content with black-and-white Australian reprints). It was about Jimmy becoming a fifth-dimensional imp like Mr Mxyzptlk, and the only way Superman could sort it out was by getting him to say "Neslo Ymmij" - his name backwards, of course - except it didn't work, for reasons which I now can't remember. Anyway, my brother and I called Jimmy "Neslo Ymmij" for years afterwards. In fact, we still do.

You may call him Jimmy... but he'll always be Neslo to me.


1 comment:

  1. I don't remember exactly, but I think that in pre-Crisis continuity Jimmy Olsen was an orphan who had been adopted. Superman would have needed to trick him into saying his birth name backwards. In a similar story, Mr. Mxyzptlk brought Superman to the 5th dimension, then regretted it. He tried to send him back by getting him to say "Namrepus", which didn't work either. When Superman decided Mr. M had learned his lesson he whispered "Le-Lak" and returned voluntarily.

    ReplyDelete

The spam filter is back on because it just goes berserk if I switch it off. Sorry - I'll get to your comments ASAP!

About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom
Eisner and Harvey Award-winning cartoonist responsible for The Muppet Show Comic Book, Thor the Mighty Avenger, Snarked! and Fred the Clown. Would like to save the world through comics.